Bards - Lyric request

Kathy Elliott kelliott at sjgs.org
Wed Jun 21 09:58:15 PDT 2000

	The dark lady is a mercedes lackey song

This is incorrect.  "The Dark Lady" was written (lyrics and music) by a
lady named Bernadette Gillese and gifted to the Houston band "Ceili's
Muse" about seven years ago.  It is featured on their 4th album of the
same title.  When Ceili's Muse broke up a few years ago, rights to the
song were given to Melanie O'Sullivan, who was the lead singer on that
album.  She has since performed the song with a few other groups,
including "Encarnation" - a band I was fortunate enough to belong to.
With her permission, I am posting the correct lyrics to this song.

There is also a follow-up song called "Carlotta," written by Diane
Ullman & Encarnation, which was performed by Encarnation.

	The Dark Lady
	by Bernadette Gillese

> A fierce one eyed man named Baron La Bone
	A meaner pirate had never been known, and he sailed on the Dark
Lady.
> A ship strong and sound with a perilous crew
	And high on the mast the skull and bones flew; fleet and swift
was the Dark Lady.

> chorus: And every night the Baron would drink a toast!
			He'd say, "Here's to our lovely Lady host;
			my one true love."  "Here, here!" the crew
replied,
			And the Dark Lady sighed.

> A rich Spanish galleon was spotted one night
	The Dark Lady's crew prepared for the fight - clash of steel.
No Spaniards survived it,
> Except for the maiden with dark eyes so bold
	Found in the hull with the jewels and gold; La Bone laughed and
he took her for ransom.

	chorus: And every night the Baron would drink a toast!
			He'd say, "Here's to our lovely Lady host;
			my one true love."  "Here, here!" the crew
replied,
			And the Dark Lady sighed.

> The girl Charlotta was a beauty quite rare
	With each passing night La Bone couldn't bear his empty bed.  He
brought her to it.
> The Baron soon found he felt more than desire.
> His love for her grew and his soul filled with fire.  He proclaimed
> that they would marry.
>
> chorus:	That night the Baron drank with jubilee.
			He said, "Here's to my lovely bride-to-be;
			My one true love!"  "Here, here!" the crew
replied
			And the Dark Lady cried.

> The following night a storm brewed at sea.
	The Dark Lady saw her chance to be free of her rival, the beauty
Carlotta.
> The ship steered herself to the heart of the gale
> where a wave swept the maiden out over the rail; sweet revenge on an
> unfaithful lover.
>
> chorus:	That night, the Lady drank a toast.
			She said, "Here's to your lovely Lady host,
			Your one true love!"  No voices replied.
			And the Dark Lady smiled.

> And now any night when a storm fills the sky
	They say that a ghost ship sails in its eye - fleet and swift is
the Dark Lady.
> A ship strong and sound with a perilous crew
	And high on the mast the skull and bones flew while the captain
gazes out to sea.

> chorus: And every night the Baron must drink a toast.
			He'd say, "Here's to our lovely Lady host;
			my one true love."  "Here, here!" the ghost crew