[Bards] courtesy

willow taylor jonwillowpel at juno.com
Wed Dec 26 11:47:17 PST 2001

The courtesy of filking is like the courtesy of using anyones piece.
First thing if you are using someone copywrited music you should ask
their permission. Some of the more famous songs it is ok to filk but you
would never record them or sell them without permission. Also don't
assume that just because a song is sung by everyone it is not protected.
SCA artist take it pretty hard if you use their piece and don't give them
credit. Normally we don't use a original filk until the artist gives us
permission. This is mainly in a local situations where you know the
artist.

When you should filk. If it is a good filk that brings the spirt alive
you can use it anytime. Sometime they are not good for contest. Filks
that stresses the modern world, the organization SCA are often
disruptive. Many of us like to live the dream and being forcefully
reminded of our everyday life and that we are just playing a silly dream
really brings us down. I don't care how cute it is. Waiting till it is
late at night doesn't make it better. Many of us find that only late at
night around the campfire can we capture the magic. If you must sing
those kinds of songs I think they should be sung during the day when you
can see the cars next to the campsites. They go along with talking about
your computers and uncovered ice chests. Taking a cue from this if you go
into a campsite that has covered up all their mundanites ( like the
Company of the Grail) making it isn't a good idea to do overt filk.
Willow de Wisp