[Bards] documentation AND performance vs. static art

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Tue Apr 23 03:48:10 PDT 2002

Greetings all.

I don't "do" a whole lot of documentation.  I put this out front so we can
get it out of the way.

I've got a lot of excuses, but for the most part I just don't feel the
inclination to write papers about things I learn anymore.  It'll keep me out
of some things.  It's okay.

I'm not a scholar, and in fact the only reason I am called a bard is because
we don't have troubador competitions.  I can tell a few stories, sing some
songs, play an instrument or three.  I like to teach my audience about the
history behind those instruments of mine that are period, or to give them a
few words about a song I play.  I don't bother them about the typical style
the piece would have been played in period, mostly because I don't know all
the styles.  I'd like to learn, but I also like spending time with my
family.  Maybe later, when the kids are all gone to seek their vision of the
world.

I don't have a problem with requiring documentation at a competition.  If
it's to be written, I think that it should be presented to the judges to be
read later, after all the competitors have performed.  If oral, it should be
done in personna.  Don't know how to do that?  It should be part of the
performance.

As far as duplicating pieces, I'm more than willing to let my performance of
a piece stand against anyone else's performance of the same piece; much as
if there were two brewers in an A&S competition and they both display their
melomels.

I think that it comes down to what are we trying to accomplish with
documentation?  Are we trying to seperate scholarly performers from "plain"
performers, or are we trying to encourage the study of those things that we
perform?  If the latter, then request documentation, and let it be the
deciding factor between two good bards.

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am
HL Gerald of Leesville
A bard of Stargate in the kingdom of Ansteorra