[Bards] traditions Koris Natterhelm

lanphier taylor jonwillowpel at juno.com
Mon Jul 15 14:14:44 PDT 2002

How many of you out there recognized the name Koris of Natterhelm? He is
know Duke Koris and he has just moved back into Kingdom. Duchess Leah is
his lady and they were very important persons in our history. He was
regional seneschal when we were trying to be a Principality. If you know
the history of our area you know that we started in two growth spurts. I
am not sure the pattern in Stargate but in  the Steppes ( by the way that
was all there was, Stargate and Steppes) the first spurt was started by
Duke Richard the Short and his Lady( Frog or Toad??). This is the first
master of arms' Richard. He then had to leave. The Steppes split into two
group. One of these groups was outside of the SCA. It was the Free City
of Something. I will get you that name later. The other group was the
Steppes, Ft. Worth and Dallas. The Steppes was down to three people ,
Stephen of Shadow keep, Robert LaHinge and John of the Rudder and these
three people had not talked to each other in three months. At this time I
came into the picture. I had been in the SCA for five years but I have
been in Birmingham Ala and there was not much going on. I was one of
several people who showed up from Meridis. I was told to go and colonize
TX. I came with my whole family and we had been fairly active in Iron
Mountain. Because I called up the three people they began to talk to each
other. You know "what do we do about Willow routine". We four started to
revitalize the Steppes.  To do so I started talking to the other group. I
went over to the Free City and you can imagine my surprise to discover
that they were fighting with hard wood and they thought they were in the
SCA. They wanted to know why Stargate wouldn't come to their tourneys.
Koris of Natterhelm and his family were one of  the first people of the
Free City to join the Steppes.

He was a house of fire and a diplomat and organizer without equal. He was
the first of us to go to Atenvelt proper and he went all over Texas and
Oklahoma creating groups. He was there helping San Antonio and Austin get
started and he was at the founding meeting for Norman. Those are the ones
I know about. He acted as the communication link between Stargate and
Steppes. He passed ideas from one group to another. As far as I know he
was the first person to have a Corpora and read it in our area. When we
wanted to be a Principality, Atenvelt didn't seem to be interested in the
idea. Koris negotiated the deal. Without his political know how it would
of taken a much longer time. Ansteorra owns a lot to Duke Koris and that
is why he was mentioned in the history at Coronation,

I hate to write so this is a lot for me, Later I will share some stories
about Koris the man and Koris the King.

Willow