[Bards] Courtesy book

Fitzmorgan at aol.com Fitzmorgan at aol.com
Thu Jul 11 20:28:50 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/11/02 7:43:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Simone at elfsea.net writes:

> I dear freind have to disagree. we've been having this debate on the GC list
> one persons vision of courtesy may not be anothers. just like one persons
> view of the dream may not be anothers. I belive the Bards on this list give
> us a good crosssection of the varring oppinions of what coutesy is. I feel
> that this should be a group effort. Putting one persons vision as the
> template could lead to a publication that is to stringent or preachy, and
> could become a platform for dictating morality instead of what is intended.
> a group concensus could help avoid some possible pitfalls.
>
> Simone

       I understand your point and on one level I agree with you, but on
another I disagree.   Almost any custom or tradition you can name will
proubably have someone who doesn't like it.  People are just like that.  We
could all get together in a large group and try to come up with something
that will satisfy everyone and offend no one, but if we did it would be so
bland and lifeless that no one would want to read it.
       Trying to please everyone leads to bland wishy-washy writing, and I
loathe wishy-washy writing.  A document like this will tend to be on the dull
side anyway and will require some skill and effort to make it interesting.
Trying to please everyone AND be interesting at the same time is more than I
want to try.

Robert