[Bards] Hoaxes? We don' need no stinkin' hoaxes!

Samuel E Orton iainmacc at juno.com
Sun Dec 7 09:00:04 PST 2003

        Good My Friends,

        Upon receiving a virus warning on this list this morning, I got
online and went to the McAfee and Symantec websites, as bitter experience
has taught me to do. Rest easy folks, this one was a hoax. The following
is quoted from Symantec.com's security response section:

--------------------------------
Symantec Security Response - Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax
  Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax
  Reported on: April 12, 2002
  Last Updated on: December 03, 2003 10:25:09 AM

  This hoax, like the SULFNBK.EXE Warning hoax, tries to encourage you to
delete a legitimate Windows file from your computer. Jdbgmgr.exe is the
file to which the hoax refers, and it is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar
for Java. The Jdbgmgr.exe file may be installed when you      install
Windows.

Notes:
  Some versions of this hoax take advantage of an actual threat, the
W32.bugbear at mm worm. The Jdbgmgr.exe file mentioned in the hoax has a
bear icon. The actual W32.bugbear at mm worm file is a .exe file and does
not have a bear icon. Other versions of this hoax have slightly different

ways in which they refer to the Jdbgmgr.exe file, usually in the subject
of the email message.

For example: