[Bards] Poetry Exercise #10 - The Poet's Revenge

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Sun Dec 7 20:58:28 PST 2003

In the course of these exercises you have learned or reviewed several
topics and formats of poetry.  We have examined metric forms like iambic
and trochaic, verse forms like the ballad and verse techniques like
chain verse, and rhyming techniques like end-rhyme and alliteration. We
talked some of poetic imagery and kennings, and we looked at courtly
love and the role of innuendo in poetry.  Quite a lot of ground, eh?

The final exercise in this section is:

Describe what you had for breakfast and how it tasted.  Use four
complete sentences. Each sentence should have at least eight words
minimum.

Use absolutely no poetic format.  Write this without any poetry
whatsoever. Remember that repeating rhythms count as poetry (the A was B
but the C was D...)

If you are viewing this email and wondering why this is an "exercise", I
suggest you try it at home.

My contribution (I daz ya to find poetry in it):
I started breakfast with scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage.
With this came pancakes as well as biscuits and gravy.
The gravy was a touch watery, but the syrup was good.
The strips of bacon were greasy but the dry sausage made up for that.

Ulf Gunnarsson