[Bards] To the crew of Columbia

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Sun Feb 2 06:05:38 PST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 19:26:15 -0800 (PST) Tessa Nieto
<eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com> writes:
> My lord,
>
> I don't see how this is offensive in the least. VIVAT
> to you, sir, for your beautiful words.

        Thank you, my lady. But with all the expressions of sorrow I have
seen on the main list, I think that assuming this would be understood by
everyone would be asking too much.

        The reason it was posted here is because it is a message of honor
and pride. And with a bard behind it to bring it to life, it could
possibly touch people as it was meant to do.
        They say that three fourths of all communication is nonverbal.
For those who would have to be shown to understand, I think that the
expression of pride on the speaker's face, and the grief you can see
behind the eyes that is not coming out only because it is not permitted
to... it could make all the difference.

        Perhaps the most basic division between 'civilized' and
'uncivilized' lies in the reverence with which we treat our dead. At such
times, it can often be a sore trial to remember that this world is a
miracle, and we are very privileged to spend time on it. That truth can
be difficult to see at the best of times, and I would not wish to make a
task already difficult still harder. Not even for a single person.

        Thank you my lady.

              In Joyful Service,

                              Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum