[Bards] New Question

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Tue Jul 1 17:12:41 PDT 2003

        I am primarily a singer, secondarily a poet. To be honest, I
don't compete much, I've been spoiled by my sister's (HE Amberlea
Fairchild) late Saturday night bardic fires. I have often had new bards
ask my advice about performing, and my first answer is usually that I may
not be the person to ask. The truth is, I don't care what the judges
think, I'm trying to win the audience.
        Yes, I know that part of the function of a bard is to illuminate
the history of the Kingdom. Yes, I know that part of the function of a
bard is to find ways to bring period pieces back to the present. In that
sense, I'm not a bard at all. I'm here to remind people of why Ansteorra
is important to them, why we came to the SCA and why we stay. That, and
I'm here to entertain them.
        I suppose the statement that defines my attitude toward bardic is
something I said as I stepped up to compete for Steppes Title Bard a few
years back:

        "We are gathered tonight to compete for the title of Bard of the
Steppes. I daresay I am as keen to win that honor as anyone here. But I
am at heart a bard, and if the truth be told.... should I lighten a
single soul's burden tonight.... put a smile on a single face... bring
joy to a single heart.... Well, that's honor enough for a simple man the
likes of me."

      In Joyful Service,

              Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum