[Bards] Challenge

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Thu Jul 17 08:25:33 PDT 2003

Two things:

Yes, there would have been designs on the Greek's shields, though not
heraldic designs per se. They would have had things symbolic of good luck,
or indicative of their names -- perhaps a forerunner of canting arms. (I
have an example of this in my files, where a scorpion is, I believe
involved -- but those files are in storage in LA! Nash, gnarl!) Dolphins,
Gorgons, (Athens, good luck, my Arms and badge, ;-) emblems of city and
clan, all would be displayed in shields.

Second, in the middle ages, all "ancient worthies" were given allegorical
armoury. Thus, a literati of 13th century France would be aware of the
allegorical "heraldry" assigned to the worthy in particular. Since that's
not my period, I don't know what the shields are, so didn't answer. I
could, of course, fake it -- which I'm sure would have been done in period,
by saying that Maccabeus was fighting the Devil, of course, and, if I knew
this Duchess and her name and her heraldry and antecedents, would try and
turn my ignorance into a compliment.

But alas, I don't, so I can't!

Esther of Ennis Merth