[Bards] New Question

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Wed Jul 2 07:52:12 PDT 2003

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:36:03 -0500 "Siobhan Ni Fearguis"
<siobhan_ni_fearguis at hotmail.com> writes:

> is I'm supposed to do.  Usually, I try to convey some kind of moral
> or 'deep
> thought' in my stuff (unless it's just for fun) because that's one
> of the
> things I understood that bards did.  I might be totally off my
> rocker...it
> wouldn't be the first time.  ;)

        Please understand, I am NOT belittling what you do. But for me,
'just for fun' is what I like best.
        It seems to me that when bards get together we can turn out any
amount of what I tend to call "pompous, bombastic, Wagnerian brass-bra"
stuff, but after a half hour or more of such pieces the audience's
patience is usually more than a little strained. I consider "The Rhyme of
the Ancient Mariner" to be an excellent piece, but if the best performer
in the world chose to actually DO it, I would still think he was abusing
his listeners' patience.
        Because of that, I tend to try to keep things fairly short, light
and fun. True, some of my stuff is "tear-jerkers", but much of it is done
solely to bring the audience back to life after listening to someone go
for 10 minutes on the history and deeds of someone they've barely heard
of.
        True, I don't win a lot of awards or titles. But I sure do enjoy
myself a lot.

      In Joyful Service,

              Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum