[Bards] Running Title Bardic Competition

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Wed Jul 2 21:52:17 PDT 2003

Gottfried Krimmelbein wrote:
> Primary Objective to entertain the masses and have fun.
>
> Second Objective to get as Many Bards to come and participate, be they
> renowned or not so renowned.
>
> Dilemma: When during an event to hold Bardic.
>
> If held during the day there's little participation due to other
> events going on and the masses don't get to hear.
>
> If held during feast, hard to judge, and often interruptions.
>
> If held at night, then Bardic winner not announced during court and
> there by given just recognition -- not that any bard seeks recognition
> (no none of us are hams)
>
> What are your thoughts on this?

Since your specified primary objective is to entertain the masses, that
implies making the competition as public as possible.  So move the other
activities to after the competition.  Have your chivalric, rapier,
archery, and equestrian activities after the bardic is over.

If you are not beaten senseless for suggesting this, I'll be surprised.

Robert's challenge format works pretty well for including the whole camp
in the bardic.  But the other activities are held at a fast speed, so no
one activity can hog all the time of the day.  The event carries an
overall winner concept, encouraging people to compete in several
championships.  As a result, they are more willing to listen to what
might otherwise be considered an attack bard.  The drawback is that few
people get to hear the better pieces, and audiences are very small.

Maybe you could break up the rounds of the other activities with bardic
rounds?  While the masters of the list prepare fighter's cards, three or
four people could perform.  Just a suggestion, as I don't know if it has
been tried before.

Ulf