[Bards] Challenge

Jane Sitton lymadelina at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 05:49:31 PDT 2003

Your Grace,

I did not know the answer to this, so I asked my lord
husband, Laird Logan the smith (aka Laird Seamus
Donnacadh Loganaich an gabhain).  His reply:

Judas Macabee fought the Greeks over the Temple they
had descrated.  The king was Antiochus IV.  In doing
so, the Macabees experienced the miracle of having
their one day supply of oil for their lamps last eight
days, which is now celebrated as Hannukah.

Logan does not know what was on the shields, but these
two quotes are possible:

"I conquered Jewish countries and offered my sacrifice
to God," and "Select of God"  (Antiochus called
himself Ephiphanes.)  Antiochus started the revolt by
erecting in the Temple an altar to Zeus and
sacrificing a pig on it.  This, after putting to death
all mothers of circumcised infants, along with the
infant.

Regards,
Madelina de Lindesay