[Bards] bardic for children

antigonus bearbait antigonus at lycos.com
Tue Jun 17 01:05:57 PDT 2003

Hello everyone --

Tiggy here.

Here there be much snippage.  :)

> I would love to be able to convince
>someone to make a tape (or CD) of the tunes [for the Ansteorran Children's Bardbook], though,
>since I don't know many of the tunes.

This was actually part of the original idea for the Children's Bardbook.  However, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men.  :)  There were a couple of different possiblities.  The original idea was a recording of various bards around the Kingdom performing them.  It has been pointed out that all that is REALLY needed is simply a single verse and chorus -- to just simply record the tunes.  But, we wanted to use the recording as a full-fledged teaching tool with all of the lyrics.  The fact is, though, I have no idea how many minutes the songs would take up.  There is also the possibility of recording it simply with a male and female voice.  Also, after all, I could just sit down with a recorder myself and make a tape.  Truth be told, I'd really like to get a recording of these songs out there.  Any ideas?  Ya know, there IS that bardic forum thread we've been talking about.

>Does anyone know of any other good sources for
>material for children? I would specifically like some
>examples to demonstrate brevity and humor to my
>children, since they tend to ramble a bit when
>performing original stories.

AESOP'S FABLES are good -- they are short and period.  They also have a moral to them.  Another advantage is that they can be embellished and remain short.

>How do you think fairy tales hold up when performed by
>children? I don't know how far back they can be
>documented, but I suspect some are known from time out
>of mind.

As far as fairy tales are concerned, I will have to bow to Duchess Willow's expertese on documentation.  However, in my opinion, children performing period is a good thing.  Children performing period pieces is even better.  Get them over the stage fright FIRST, then coach them on the finer points of piece selection.  Very little can be so crushing to a new performer than telling them that they chose the wrong piece.  I don't have to tell you how fragile a new bard's nerves can be.

> but I also
>had the thought that I also need to encourage and
>direct my children more than I currently do.

I cannot encourage this enough.  Yes, PLEASE work with your kids.  Something from the intro to parents in the Children's Bardbook -- Get used to hearing your child's repretoire A LOT.  Encourage them to practice to you in the car, at home, everywhere you can.  And, don't be afraid to direct them and  offer advice.  Remind them that this will be taking place in a circle, and talk to them about the fact that how they move will affect how the audience will see/hear/interpret the piece.  Talk to them about how THEY feel about the piece, and how they can convey that to the cirlce.

I can tell you, that working with kids in bardcraft is extremely rewarding and a great deal of fun.  Another thing I have found out is that they DON'T FORGET the experience, either.

I hope I was a help, and if there is anything else I can do -- feel free to let me know.

Thanx all --

Tig