[Bards] What's your Favorite Piece?

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Fri Jun 6 23:35:10 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 02:12, Fitzmorgan at aol.com wrote:
>        What is your favorite song or poem that you have written, and why is
> it your favorite?
>
>        What is your favorite piece that another SCA bard has written and why
> is that your favorite?  If you cannot just pick one try to keep it to 5 or
> less.

Of my own composition, my favorite (at the moment) is "Harold the
Herald".  It sticks closer to period for the tune and layout, and the
subject matter is very period.  But despite that, it has carried well
with several types of audiences.  The main reason I like it is it made
me cry while I wrote it. Heck, I cried when I performed it the first ten
times.

Other people's stuff?  I dare not say, lest I offend by omission....
Okay, you talked me into it. :)

"A" "Number One" "Numero Uno" is "Warrior's Wyrd" by Master Ivar
Battleskald.  It's exactly what I would have said if I could say things
that well.

Of the thirty or forty vying for second place ...

"Loki's Gift" by Master Mikal the Ram, when done by Mikal or our own
Lord Grimulfr.

"How the Vikings Invented Sex", a performance by Master Ragnar at Elfsea
Defender one year. It lasted two or three hours, and was never
recorded.  I think Ragnar had trouble remembering it the next day.

The Lineage of the Kings of Ansteorra by Master Cedric the Fiddler.
That was a good kenning...

Then there are the ones that get under your skin, and you find yourself
humming them months later...

"Mairin's Song" by Master Lucais, back when he STILL PERFORMED! (I hope
he reads this list... *grin* )

HL Finnican's "Bells".  He owes me the words... :)

"Lady of Sorrows" by Lady Bella. The tune gets me...

"The Baron" by Master Robin, because I understand...

And HL Elanor O'Ruark's "Sorrow's Harvest"... for remembering.

And on the cheerful side:

"Circles" - May not be just SCA, but it was one of those magical first
event songs.  Third or fourth event, we stood in an arena, holding
hands, fifty or sixty people singing it.  When finished, a kiss was
passed around the ring of people. (*sigh* big bardic circles...)

"Nobleman's Lane" by HL Finnican.
"Culture Medley" by Master Robin.
"How the Lombard's Got Their Name" by HE Vegtamr.
"The Joke We Played on Olaf" by Master Ragnar.

There.  Five pieces or less... Um... per category.

Ulf