[Bards] bardic for children

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Sat Jun 7 23:21:32 PDT 2003

Lady Madelina wrote:
> Does anyone know of any other good sources for
> material for children?  I would specifically like some
> examples to demonstrate brevity and humor to my
> children, since they tend to ramble a bit when
> performing original stories.
>
> How do you think fairy tales hold up when performed by
> children?  I don't know how far back they can be
> documented, but I suspect some are known from time out
> of mind.

First, if you are in Central Ansteorra, I'd recommend getting with the
authors of the Ansteorran Childrens' Bard Book, Tiggy (on this list) and
my apprentice, Elanor O'Ruark. They would have the tunes and further
sources. I know that Elanor has volunteered to organize children's
bardic activities at some events.  Both of them have done some weekly
workshops with bards.

Second, bardic with children is a hard subject. Adults have such a
diverse spectrum of knowledge and ability.  Some are gifted with grand
ability.  Some are hopeless as performers.  Some are buds waiting for
the right fertilizer or environment or material.  Some are good "shield
wall" material, but will never be "gunslingers". Etc.

In children, this range is even wider.  And their abilities are all
undeveloped.  Their experience and retention is minuscule.  Their
response to criticism is unpredictable. In short, it is hard to find
someone willing to teach children bardic, just as it is hard to find
someone willing to teach children at all.

Which includes me.  I don't like teaching children.  But I'll teach
bards.  Restated, that means when I'm teaching, I try to treat the kids
the same way as the grey beards. If they are there to learn bardic, I'll
treat them like adults (most kids seem to respond well to that). I
expect them to remember what they've been told, use it again when they
do their next piece, and do some independent work (not just wait for it
to be handed to them).  That's hard for some kids, and a few adults as
well.

So treat your children as if they were anyone else learning the bardic
arts.  If they sing, get them a couple of the basic songs that everyone
sings all the time.  Try to pick ones without a large range (keep it to
an octave or so).  Encourage them to sing along with everyone else.
Encourage them to initiate, like asking Centurion So-and-So to help them
sing "Rising of the Star".  This builds their confidence and teaches
them some independence and social timing.

If they do poetry, get them some examples from period and have them read
them out loud.  Simple couplets work well, but move them on to a few of
the slightly more complicated forms.  Help them write one or two for
your local newsletter, then get them to perform them at a fire or in the
kitchen or under a pavilion.  Have them challenge Centurion So-and-So to
a rhyming contest, and maybe a few months later, a couplet contest.
Kennings and such are probably out for a while.

If they do stories, fairy tales are great.  Make sure they learn how old
the fairy tale is and where it comes from, so they become aware of that
kind of thing.  Get some of the ash-lad tales of Scandinavia or the
Persian tales where the simple man outwits the Sultan.  Have them change
the hero's name to Centurion So-and-So and perform it for him.  Make
sure they have all the major turning points in the story memorized so
they never lose the flow, and have them read it out loud at home a few
times first, from the book, so they get the language hooks programmed
into their head.

Everything above includes: performing aloud, performing for others,
singling a person out for focus and tacit support, taking steps beyond
the beginner for authenticity and complexity, and developing independent
performance identity. It also provides good opportunity for positive
feedback and a little fun.  The steps are the same whether you are eight
or thirty eight.

As a side note, "fairy tales" can be from ancient Greece or 19th century
Virginia.  Most of what we heard growing up is 18th or 19th century, but
some go back farther.  A lot of what I recall from childhood is
post-period German, Scandinavian, and Appalachian Irish.  That doesn't
mean it isn't good for starting with.

Gosh, that was a long letter.  And I only answered part of her
questions.  And I have participles dangling here and there.  And
Centurion So-and-So will probably have words with me at some points.

Be responsible bards: don't let my words be the final ones on this
subject.

Ulf Gunnarsson
(I know there is a joke in that last sentence...)