[Bards] and now for something completely different

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Thu Feb 5 07:13:30 PST 2004

I'm still trying to get more information on this style myself.  Eleanor
Fairchild got me started on this style, so she might be able to provide more
information.

The style is a triolet, which is French.  The reference I used to start from
is at http://www.writing-world.com/poetry/triolet.shtml.  The author gives a
good description of the process of building the poem, but doesn't give
anything concrete on a specific meter.  There are eight lines to a triolet,
and eight syllables seems standard (though in an example the author uses
nine in one instance).  The rhyme scheme is:

ABaAabAB
The A lines are identical to eachother (they appear thrice)
The B lines are identical to eachother (they appear twice)
The a lines rhyme with the A line but are not identical
The b line rhymes with the B line

The A line, that appears three times in the poem, lends to it being called a
triolet (trio=three).  The Princeton had a small entry on triolets as well,
but I don't recall what it said off hand.  That's everything I used to start
writing.  The trio of triolets I posted titled "For Love of a Bard" was just
three triolets I put together to perform - I figured an eight line poem
would be a bit short for performing.  If I find any more information on this
style, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Cheers,
Alden