[Bards] On Bardic Documentation (it got long!)

Lady Simone simone at elfsea.net
Fri Jan 9 00:15:48 PST 2004

HL  Gerald no Offense taken. I like hearing other viewpoints outside of my
own. that is how we learn.

I did notice you referred to me as HL Simone. thankyou dear for that vote of
confidence, but I am only a lady.

Lady (Simone) Muirenn ingen Senáin uí Dúnlaing
2nd Rose of FalconRose Southern Keep, Ansteorra

> Before you read any further, please note that I do not mean to attack HL
> Simone in any way.  The subject we are discussing is one rife with passion
> from both sides (as she said somewhere in the pieces that didn't make it
> into this missive).  I would be unworthy of the discussion itself if I
tried
> to imply that Simone, or anyone who expresses their opinions here, are
> wrong.  I'm sorry to add to an already long discussion with this leadoff,
> but I know that impassioned writing can sometimes lead to anger, and I
would
> do what I can to avert that if possible.  Now.  On with the show.
>
> This morning, HL Simone sed:
>
> > 2. It [documentation] adds a validity to our craft in the scope of those
> who over
> > the years
> > have questioned the historical accuracy of Bardcraft as a legitimate
> > artform.  It may not be as much of a debate as it has been in the past.
>
> The funny thing is, I have never heard the argument that Bardcraft is not
> "legitimate" art form.  What I hear is that, since A&S entries are
required
> to submit documentation for their displays, works under the "performing"
> arts should be required as well.
>

> > 3. The Nature of the society has been changing over the years to more
> > Authenticity in our actions as members in the society. as such
> > the Bard is a
> > highly visible part of that society. As such by our willingness to
provide
> > documentation on the competition level we indirectly support and
> > show others
> > that it is OK to do documentation for other things.
>
> HL simone, while I respect your viewpoint on this, there are some problems
> have with the logic.  Perhaps its not even the logic, it's just MY
viewpoint
> on it.
>
> Is the nature of the SCA changing?  Probably.  The question is, should it?
>
> I like historic authenticity when I can get it, but I don't live for it.
> have recently started writing more of my own works, and that's turning
into
> fun.  As I learn more about period music, period pieces, etc., I will
> probably try my hand at producing more period pieces of work.
>
> But I live in a similar land where Eleanor Fairchild and others dwell; I
> prefer the performance, the challenge of producing the right reaction from
> the audience, and that still moment when they are caught up in the song or
> story, or the raucous moment when the punchline hits home.
>
> I can produce documentation now, since I know that it doesn't have to be a
> scholarly paper and that I'm not getting graded on how well I can format
the
> information.  I do it, mostly, because there are judges that require it.
In
> the competitions that I have been the sponsor of (Stargate Bard, Loch
> Soillier Bard) I gave extra marks for documentation, but judged mostly on
> performance.
>
> If I had my druthers, documentation would consist of a brief, yet somehow
> entertaining encapsulation of what I'm about to perform.  A word or two
> about style, instrument, or origin, and then off we go to the piece.  If
> there are any amusing anecdotes that might pique someone's interest, it
> should be included too.
>
> But I don't necessarily want to be a teacher, just as most people don't
> attend bardic circles to be taught about a particular writer or the
> difference between perfect voice vs. vibrato.  Most couldn't give a dram.
>
> But bardic in the SCA is changing as well.  There are still people who are
> quite happy to filk from "Bridge Over Troubled Water", and more power to
> them, especially if it's a good filk.  There are, however, a growing
number
> of people who are exposed to performers such as Robin of Gilwell, Cedrik
the
> Fidler, etc., who can perform a period piece and take a stock clerk from
> Best Buy and bring them back six hundred plus years with a well crafted
> presentation.  And because of this exposure, more people are interested in
> performing those type of pieces, or seeing them performed.  Those of us
who
> are performers see these pieces and wish to emulate them, and so we study.
>

> >  Like it or not because we are performers and many of us are very
visible
> > people to the populace.  Our actions and words carry weight.  We are
> > examples good or bad of what the society is, and what it can
> > become. We are
> > under the watchful eyes of our fans,old timers and newcomers alike. In
my
> > opinion this comes with a responsibility. by showing a willingness to do
> > Documentation we encourage the old-timers and newcomers, that
> > documentation
> > is OK not  a 3 headed monster to be avoided at all cost. So what is
> > documentation in the scope of things for Bardcraft.
>
> And that would be good, if we had more people pointing to places like the
> Laurelate's web site, which gives some good pointers for the "D" word.
For
> the most part, people just throw down, "Documentation is required ..." and
> leave it at that.  What documentation SHOULD be used for is a way to give
> proof that you know something about the piece that you're performing.
What