[Bards] On Bardic Documentation (it got long!)

Brian & Pam Martin twinoak at cox-internet.com
Thu Jan 8 18:54:23 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: bards-bounces at ansteorra.org [mailto:bards-bounces at ansteorra.org] On
Behalf Of Gerald Norris
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 8:17 PM
To: Ansteorran Bardic list
Subject: RE: [Bards] On Bardic Documentation (it got long!)

Before you read any further, please note that I do not mean to attack HL
Simone in any way.  The subject we are discussing is one rife with passion
from both sides (as she said somewhere in the pieces that didn't make it
into this missive).  I would be unworthy of the discussion itself if I tried
to imply that Simone, or anyone who expresses their opinions here, are
wrong.  I'm sorry to add to an already long discussion with this leadoff,
but I know that impassioned writing can sometimes lead to anger, and I would
do what I can to avert that if possible.  Now.  On with the show.

Then Gerald said:
>> The funny thing is, I have never heard the argument that Bardcraft is not
a "legitimate" art form.  What I hear is >> that, since A&S entries are
required to submit documentation for their displays, works under the
"performing" arts >> should be required as well.

Pendaran responds:
You're right; no one ever said that bardcraft is not a "legitimate" art
form. Performances that are not period to the Renaissance or the Middle Ages
in a kingdom competition are, in my opinion, illegitimate.

Gerald said:

>> I like historic authenticity when I can get it, but I don't live for it.
I have recently started writing more of my >> own works, and that's turning
into fun.  As I learn more about period music, period pieces, etc., I will
probably
>> try my hand at producing more period pieces of work.

>> But I live in a similar land where Eleanor Fairchild and others dwell; I
prefer the performance, the challenge of
>> producing the right reaction from the audience, and that still moment
when they are caught up in the song or story,
>> or the raucous moment when the punchline hits home.

Pendaran:
Two things here: who says that you can't get the audience completely
enthralled with a period piece? What, you can't get an audience in the palm
of your hand with Shakespeare, Chaucer and the like? Come on; those guys
were pretty good. ;-)This is like saying that period feasts can't taste
good.

The other thing is that no one is saying that we can't ever do non-period
stuff. What I'm saying is that we should do period stuff in *competition*.
There's a time and a place for everything and I think that competitions are
the place for authentic performances.

That's all that I'm address as those are my main points.

Pendaran