[Bards] On stage fright and confidence

Dawn Rummel dsrummel at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 19:58:16 PST 2004

ML <lymadelina at yahoo.com> wrote:

Even more to the point, though, is my severe stage
fright.
I guess you could say more than anything, lack of
confidence keeps me from competing. If anyone knows a
remedy for that, please share!

Lady Madelina de Lindesay

Lady Madelina:

When I started performing, I had terrible stage fright as well.  Like, bursting into tears kind of stage fright.  Once I realized how little control I had over it (and how much control it had over me), I decided it had to go.  I viewed it much as someone telling me I *couldn't* do something, and approached it with the attitude of "Well, I'll show you!"  It became something to conquer.  Now, the stage fright is actually fun for me, and if you can channel the energy into your performance, you'll be even better.  I'm sure this approach won't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Another important aspect of conquering stage fright (and building confidence) is to perform more often.  It's really a catch-22 - the more you perform, the more comfortable you'll feel (at least, that's the theory), but you have to overcome the fear just to take the step of performing.  We have a bardic practice on the fourth Wednesday of the month in Steppes - it would be a bit of a hike for you, I'm sure, but we'd love to see you come and perform (the same goes to anyone who would like to attend!).  If anyone would like info on the practice, please let me know.

Antonia/Dawn

It's the little things in life...