[Bards] Child ballads

John F. Hirling jhirling at houston.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 10:17:39 PST 2004

The monumental work of Frances Child ballads covers both pre- and post- 1600 C.E. works, so simply pulling a work from English and Scottish Popular Ballads will not guarantee a period piece.  For a good discussion see Master Gregory's page at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/child.html
--ihon

  Someone mentioned Child ballads as being okay for SCA. I once did a personal survey of existing folk songs like those in the Child collection to see if I could pinpoint characteristics that would help a person write SCA songs that had a similar feel.  I think my findings might make an interesting class (if not certifiably scholarly) for those interested in folk.