[Bards] Discussion question

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Fri Jul 30 05:35:08 PDT 2004

Practice, Practice, Practice.

1) Work on my songs having a period "flavor" to them; if I filk, I try to
filk from a period tune, or one that lends itself to keeping the flavor of
the current middle ages.  Compositions, as a whole are done in the same
vein.

2) While I tend to include a lot of non-period Irish tunes in my playing at
events, I try to insure that, at such events where the "modern" irish stuff
would be intrusive, I play mostly period tunes, dances and such.

3) I try to provide some information about the songs I sing, when I have
said information.  I'm trying to learn who writes the songs I sing so I can
include them in the spreading of that information.

4) I try to remember that this is, when it's all said and done, a hobby, and
that others, whether talented or not, should be encouraged to "make a joyful
noise".

5) Encourage others to join in on the sing-along songs.  Try to join
children's activities and teach songs like "Rattlin' bog", or a few verses
of the "Rose" round.

6) Entertain at feast; not just for the head table, but so that all can hear
(but then, I've got a voice that can do that).

7) Learn more pieces- to broaden my repetoir.  All told, I've got nearly 50
to 60 pieces, both music and song, that I can call from memory to play or
sing.  I've only got one Shakespeare piece so far, but part of that is
because I don't want to do "the usual".

8) Contribute to the telling of our Kingdom's history, usually in song.

9) Figure my role when going to an event.  Am I a minstral or a bard or
both?  Or am I helping at the event, cooking, running, or taking care of
tables.

10) Encourage bardic.  Try to remember that not everyone has the same ideas
about it that I do (And aren't we all the happier for the diversity?).  Try
to sponsor, or have sponsored, bardic circles.  Teach old songs (and new
ones).

There.  My secrets are out.  Except they're not that secret, eh?
g.