[Bards] A New Poem

Elizabeth Blackthorne damsle_n_distress2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 16:32:48 PST 2004

At war I wrote a fun poem I would like to share with ya'll.  I'm not sure if the format is period and some of the text is questionable.  I wrote it more for the entertainment purpose than a competition piece.

The Drums Are Calling

I lie in bed awake, tonight I swore I'd sleep.
I must pack up tomorrow, then in the distance I hear the beat.

The drums are calling.

"No", I say out loud, "No, I'll not follow tonight."
I will fall asleep soon because I must wake at first light.

The drums are calling.

For too many nights I've had too little sleep.
I must rest tonight, I must resist the beat.

The drums are calling.

I rise from my bed and dress, I'll go for a short while tonight.
I'll be back in bed in time to sleep before day light.

The drums are calling.

Ahhh, rest is for the weary, when I'm dead I'll sleep.
This is the time for revels.  I've been captured by the beat.

The drums are calling

Sun, bright light, bad!  Need coffee!  Must sober up from last night.
I promise myself to never again drink and revel until day light.

Well, until the next time...The drums are calling

Do you Yahoo!?