[Bards] Performance Point at War?

willow tayor willowjonbardc at juno.com
Wed Mar 24 15:51:24 PST 2004

Greetings to the bards of Ansteorra From Duchess Willow de Wisp.

I am afraid to announce that the Arts and Science War Point was won by
Trimaris. They didn't break down the Static and Performing, but lumped
them all together so I can not tell you how the performers fared.

The Champion battle was done at Bede Hall. It was splendidly decorated,
but the acoustics were very strange. It was very hard to hear yourself
perform. The first up was the horse, but that was done outside so we
didn't see it. Trimaris had the first human performers. Three ladies got
up and started embroidering and as they sewed they sang three French
songs. Their voices were like angels and they looked like angels. It was
probable the most charming performance I have ever seen. The Ansteorrans
were next with the Moonshadows' Two harps and a flute. They did a
wonderful job. They didn't do anything special as an introduction so
their piece didn't seem as charming as the Three Dames. We had a break
then and some of us did fill in performances. A lovely lady from Trimaris
did an original poem called "the offering." It was very nice. Lady Simone
did "Lady Jane". A Countess told me the next day that it bought tears to
her eyes. A Grand Russian gentleman came forth and sang in Russian and
did a original piece. The official competition started again. A Mistress
came out and did a performance piece set in a dramatic skit. It was very
funny and had a lot of heart. The Merry Minstrels of Moonshadow performed
a lively piece for Ansteorra. It was very well done. Two wonderful
dancers from Trimaris came out and did a dance form India. They had a
wonderful introduction that taught the audience about performance dancing
vs. classical Indian dancing. I have a little knowledge about the subject
and I can tell you they were right on the money. I really enjoyed their
performance.  These were all of the official performances. I then did my
Maria de France's piece as a filler performance.

The Ansteorra performers did a great job. The Trimarans out did us with
their performances within the context of a skit. This kind of
introduction really sets the stage for performances. We need to think
about doing it here.

The next day was the Arts Melee. Again they were lumping static and
performing Arts together.  Ansteorra had two performers, myself and Lady
Michelle, Bard of Stargate. Trimaris had a Merides poet, Lord Kevin Mac
Douglas. Everyone was given one bead and us performers were going head to
head with some wonderful static pieces. The lady in charge said we could
perform as many pieces as we cared to. The three of us performed from
10:30 to 3:30. I got more beads than I expected and Lady Michelle did
wonderfully. I think our actions got through to the people in charge that
what they were asking us to do was slightly unfair. I was assured us that
next year they would change the format. The Merdians gave all three of us
word fame in Grand Court.

I traveled the fires with Lady Simone on Wednesday and Thursday and found
plenty of places to perform. Lady Simone was very hot. She taught several
classes in bard craft and invited her class in performing to travel with
her on Thursday. There were two of them. One was Mistress Roselyn from
Atlantia. It turned out that see was the songsmith of many songs we sing.
 The other performer was a Indian with a strange name and who told
stories about a elephant-headed Hindi God. We had a great time.

Willow de Wisp

Tiggy beat me to it!  I'm curious too!
Antonia

antigonus bearbait <antigonus at lycos.com> wrote:

So, any word on the performances at War?

Though I am confident that the Ansteorran bardic contingent wiped the
ground with Trimeran performers, I was wondering if we could get any word
on the performances.

Can anyone comment on the Performing Arts Champion's Battle? Or the Grand
Melee? I'm actually interested in performances from both sides.

Much Thanx --

Tiggy

Antonia/Dawn

It's the little things in life...