[Bards] A Lay for a Don

Tessa Nieto eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 08:10:53 PDT 2005

I knew Don Benedict a little while we lived in
Ansteorra. He was a rare creature: a true gentleman.
We shall never see his like again.

Good night, sweet Don. May flocks of angels sing thee
to thy rest.

Shedding a tear in the Land of the Sun,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
Apprentice to Master Darius of the Bells
Barony of Sun Dragon
Kingdom of Atenveldt

--- "D. Vandever" <hlannes at ev1.net> wrote:
> My Friends,
>
> I'm sure you have all heard the sad news. Our former
> Kingdom Bard, Dona Antonio, lost her husband and
> soulmate, Don Benedict in the early morning hours of
> April 16 after a long battle with colon cancer.
>
> As someone who considers herself a friend to
> Antonio, I am saddened by the pain she must be
> feeling.
>
> As a historian, I am moved by the necessity to add
> another Fallen Star to my never ending list of those
> who have played our Dream and gone on to other
> Dreams in other planes of existance.
>
> As a bard, I feel the need to express some of what
> the man was and meant to us in words. What follows
> is my attempt to satisfy all 3 urges at the same
> time.
>
> Alden, you told me that you are turning your hand to
> putting together a second volume of "Voices of the
> Star". I would be honored if you might include this
> effort of mine to honor this man who meant so much
> to so many.
>
> Annes
>
> A Lay for a Don
> By H.L. Annes Clotilde von Bamburg
>
> On a field of Black and Gold
> This tale will be told
> Of a Don, both Great and Bold
> Who the heart of His Lady did Hold
>
> He was big of Body, Soul and Mind
> He was Gentle--Loving--Kind
> To His Lady, Love's own Find,
> Now Gone before his Time
>
> We remember his grace upon the Field,
> We remember the blades that he did wield
> We remember The Queens his arms did shield
> We remember the service he did yield
>
> We honor his name with a place in our heart
> We honor the Man now drawn apart
> Others must finish things he did start
> Don Benedict Ashton
> Fallen Star and White Scarf

We are the musicmakers...and we are the dreamers of dreams -  Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved