[Bards] Sonnet 16

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 25 08:33:09 PST 2005

This latest sonnet is one I'm fairly proud of.  It's an acrostic praise sonnet written for Her
Excellency Oriana, Baroness of Bonwicke.  A fair bit of work went into this poem.  I chose the
early English sonnet form used by Sir Thomas Wyatt, which uses the Petrarchan rhyme scheme.  I
chose that because my persona is English (and I write in English) and Baroness Oriana's persona is
Italian, so it was my way of paying tribute to her nationality.  The acrostic, BARONESS ORIANA
fits perfectly into the 14-line poem format, particularly in the division of the Petrarchan
octet-sestet format.  And praise poems were very period (many praise poems were written for
Elizabeth).  The piece was written as a thank you to Baroness Oriana for some artwork she did for
me.  Enjoy!

~Alden Drake

Sonnet 16 “For Oriana”

Be still you doves and look to Bonwicke’s keep
And there await the dawn of Morning’s light.
Rejoice with she, who by her dawning bright,
Outshines us all with grace that makes men weep.
No dreams from Morpheus in my slumber deep,
E’er could deter the end she brings to night.
So luminous with spark’ling eyes alight,
She wakes me, with a single glance, from sleep.
Offending sun that sets the course of days,
Reverse thy course; stay thy temporal hand.
Inter thyself once more beyond the sea.
A lady fair, who shines with golden rays,
Now walks among us here upon the land
And all men look to her for light to see.