[Bards] Question on venues

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Thu Apr 27 16:58:50 PDT 2006

I'm gonna summarize my stance on this by breaking away from the list
below a little, but not completely.

I think individual vocal performance should be the format for the
Kingdom Bard.
I think musicians, dancers, actors and groups thereof, troupes, bands,
and choirs, should be able to compete for Royal Courtier or something.
Give them their own kingdom competition and responsibilities to the
crown.
Same goes for puppeteers, magician's, jesters and acrobats. Offer them
a chance to be the Royal Gleeman/Reveler/Jongleur, what have you.
The same person could compete in all three if they wish. I might try
for Kingdom Bard, act the fool for Jongleur and jump in as an actor for
Courtier.
Granted, If I actually was lucky enough to land on of those, I'd
refrain from the others, but that's me.

If I'm offered only the list below, I feel 1-5 is appropriate for
Eisteddfod on one condition; An instrument is allowed only if played as
a part of a vocal performance. I would never dream of disallowing a
welsh bardagh the chance to recite poetry will playing a harp, or a
spanish noble the chance to strum his guitar will singing.
I believe Eisteddfod should be for the classic SCA bards and skalds. I
also believe the other groups need support and I want to see them
getting the same respect and appreciation.

Yeah, I'm sticking with the "Finnacan Model" of performance.

As for the venues, I can see interkingdom and Kingdom A&S having the
same standards and defining boundaries as Eisteddfod or the other
'Royal' competitions, but when it comes to baronial or shire
competitions or circles, let the locals do as they wish. If they see a
new trend taking off that supports more performance, they are likely to
support it, but with their own regional flair and traditions.
As for casual settings like feasts, camps and taverns, get up there and
do what you think the audience wants. I'll gladly perform with
practitioners of all three categories.