collegium stuff, was Re: [Bards] DASMoBA and Kingdom Bard

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 2 05:47:05 PDT 2006

As Dona Antonia mentioned, getting another stand-alone event on the calendar is a bit of a challenge, and based on the last two collegiums, I wouldn't say there was enough attendance to merit a stand-alone event for bards.  Conjoining the collegium with another event also makes it more available to non-bards who might want to learn (or just enjoy).  Someone who might say, "I don't want to go to a bardic event", might go to another event and say, "Hey, while I'm here, I'll go check out a bardic class."

The trick, is finding the right event to attach the collegium, and coordinating with that event's steward (and staff) is a part of that process.  The last two collegiums (one at Three Kings, and one at Tourney By the Loch) were quite different venues, but worked out well.  Three Kings was outside, and we set up an area with several pavilions.  It was like a little bardic encampment - quite lovely really.  At the Loch's event, we had indoor classrooms and an outdoor area.  If we can get in early enough with the host branch, it will go a long way to finding a site that is suitable for both events.  If it's going to be outside, just remember to consider the weather and temperature when looking at the calendar.  I'd also recommend rotating the location through the regions.

And keeping the Kingdom Bard connected to the collegium is highly encouraged, either as steward or class coordinator.

Just some thoughts,
Alden