[Bards] some {more} Notes!

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Mon Nov 6 09:32:39 PST 2006

Reading the last few responses in this thread, I wanted to throw out a
couple of positions and see how people responded.

I would suggest that we ARE a community. That's it, you see it right
here and at bardic events around the Kingdom. We may want to encourage
more communication and rally our resources to a common ground, but this
is it. By even reading this message you are a part of the community,
whether you perform or not.
So when you wonder what the college will be, well, you're looking at
it. This is it. All of us talking, wondering, worrying and creating.
Don't think of the "College" as a structure apart from our usual casual
chats, this is what the college will be.
Every time you wonder what "The College" will do, exchange the words
"The College" for your name and your fellow performers in your area.

The only real changes being discussed are...
Greater use of the College badge (the harp and star)
Use of the term "College" to describe what we already are, performers
and those who support performers.
The officers proposed as part of this already exist, we're just waiting
to see if formal inclusion is viable.

Reasons for this are simple, increased visibility and a collective name
for all of US. It also fosters a sense of fellowship, which is just an
emotional response, nothing more, but it does increase enthusiasm and
the sense that all performers are our kin.
It gives a sense of belonging that pure competition doesn't foster, and
empathy for our fellows instead of constant one-upmanship.
The newcomer in a border group approaches the locals and asks about
bards. Instead of them trying to figure out who within 100 miles they
ought to meet "some day when they get the chance", they are told about
the college. Most of us would be right here, including those nearest
the newcomer.

Instead of inviting folks to join this email list, we invite them to
visit the College's online presence.
Instead of asking people to give copies of class handouts or research
notes to all of individually, we invite them to post them at the
College.
Instead of inviting people to meet with their fellow bards to discuss
certain issues, we invite them to a meeting of the College.
Instead of introducing new bards or would-be bards to other performers,
we introduce them to the College.
Instead of "a couple of bards" having a circle, the College is having a
circle.
Instead of a newcomer looking for a bardic circle by listening in the
dark, they can gravitate to the Harp and Star banners and painted
lanterns.
Instead of a newcomer wondering who is a performer or a supporter by
reputation, they can look for the badge.

It all boils down to terminology, which as we all know in this
particular hobby, has power.
Thus far, the only issue I see with the idea is that some people define
themselves by how much they buck the system, rebel against existing
structures and pride themselves on their individuality. "Lone wolf
syndrome" is alive and well in this game, with a lot of people refusing
to play ball as they perceive that as some form of submission. A number
of households have started up merely to support this xenophobic way of
thinking.

Bards are particularly known for this mindset. We wouldn't be who we
are if we didn't do our own thing. We'd all be parrots with no real
distinct variety. I myself despise the notion of "group-think" and find
that it leads to stagnant isolationism.
However...
I talk with you folks because we all sweat together in front of the
same audience. We all struggle with the same craft and we all try to
create those moments of magic by pouring our hearts out in front of a
bunch of our fellow history enthusiasts.
I'm a part of that community. I'm certainly not of a like mind with
everyone, and I have little tolerance for those who present themselves
as the defining example of this art form. Most of you feel the same
way, and I like visiting and performing with you folks.

That visiting and commonality could be called a College.
That's what I'm seeing in this conversation.