[Bards] So let's quit sitting on the sidelines andgetdancingalready

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 6 17:22:36 PST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 6:56 PM, Katherine of Scarborough wrote:

> To me, it doesn’t matter so much how we do it, or what we call it.
> Only that we do something, and that we don’t get too bogged down in
> the red tape and the minutiae and the secret handshakes (all of
> which have their place) to enjoy ourselves, and remember why we’re
> doing it in the first place.  ...If we can ever all agree on why
> we're doing it, that is.
>
> ;)
>
> In service and song,
> Catrin ferch Maelgwn
> Bard of Skorragardr

Thank you, Catrin. Very, very well said.

Upon reflection (and a quiet hour spent with a 5-month-old who has
his own outlook on the world), I think that the only parts of the
"rough draft charter" that really stand are this:

----- begin -----
Statement of Purpose
* The Ansteorran College of Bards is an informal guild whose members
practice and promote the bardic arts in the Kingdom of Ansteorra,
whatever the terms "practice", "promote" and "the bardic arts" mean
to any particular bard.

Officers
* Officers, schmofficers. Who knows? Who cares? As long as somebody
somehow schedules Eisteddfod, we're happy.

Members
* Anyone can be a member of the Ansteorran College of Bards. To be
one, say you are one, or display the insignia of the College in
whatever form (belt favor, banner, etc.). The insignia is "Or, a
mullet of five greater and five lesser points within the frame of an
Irish harp sable". Or maybe a blue sash, or a blue belt favor with
gold trim. Or possibly a ferret.

Resources
* To facilitate communications among the members, there is an email
list (bards at lists.ansteorra.org) and a site on the world wide web
(<http://bard.ansteorra.org/>). There are also populace meetings,
officer's meetings, fighter practices, events, backyard bardic
circles, fire-walking, and any number of other venues into which an
adventurous, creative and above all: shameless bard might intrude,
thus spreading the word.

There. I think that covers it.

Or have I completely missed the as-yet only vaguely described target
again? ;-)

Michael