[Bards] So let's quit sitting on the sidelines andgetdancingalready

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Mon Nov 6 20:20:33 PST 2006

Nah.

The kingdom bard already has a job; to encourage performance throughout the
land and to help guide other performers to higher standards of excellence,
as well as themselves.  That will be done as each holder of that role sees
fit.  I would like to think that someone who wanted to work hard enough to
achieve that title would want to use the college to help with that
encouragement.  But requiring them to do so is similar to requiring every
bard to wear a blue sash if they wish to call themselves a bard, or
requiring them to wear their insignia for an award they've received.  Won't
happen.  They'll do it or they won't, if a college ever comes out of this.

KDoAS has duties too.  Already has a job.  Imagine that.  Will there always
be a KDoAS for performance?  Impossible to tell.  I know for a fact that the
current deputy is VERY interested in all that's being said here, and that
when time and tide allows, he'll be happy to step into the dialogue.

Catrin chirped:

But if "spokesperson" is to mean something more than that--if in fact the
Premier Bard is expected to literally "speak for" or in any way "anticipate
the needs of" a group of individuals as large and diverse as the bards of
Ansteorra--then I wonder if we might not have a greater complication on our
hands.