[Bards] notes and replys

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 6 05:42:25 PST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 12:21 AM, Cisco Cividanes wrote:

> Darius, I would never accuse you or the other peers on this list of
> ignorance about your influence, deliberate or perceived. However,
> many of us have been tapped on the shoulders at times and been told
> that we were yelling, and didn't realize it. This is much the case
> here. While I know few if any of you want to sound like you are
> laying out concrete decisions, I, removed from the situation as I
> both am and am not, read the posts such that decisions were being
> made. This was just a note, not a warning or threat.

Cool. There's a process going on here, where ideas are being trotted
out to see if they will stand up to scrutiny. That process is called
"Peer review" in academic circles. The irony of that term is pretty
funny, considering who are being most active in this discussion. ;-)

Usually, in that process (by whatever name you call it) you don't
make namby-pamby statements. They fall down before they even take the
stage. You make positive, concise statements. But nothing is engraved
in stone; they are just "talking points", up for consideration -- as
has been stated more than once.

> At to the e-mails, I have NOT read them all, and am not going to. I
> have to see after my toddler son, tend to my house and work,
> commute three hours a day, etc.... The list is a wonderful thing,
> but everyone keep in mind that the volume is getting extreme, and I
> don't think it is reasonable for any of us to be expected to read
> and retain all of the information we are seeing.

We all have finite time available to us. Most of us have jobs, kids,
commutes, etc... My son isn't quite up to the toddler stage yet. I'm
looking forward to that. :-)

We all have to choose how to spend the time we have. I'm glad that
you have chosen to spend some of your time on this list, because a
pretty cool and important thing is happening here, right here, right
now. The bards of Ansteorra are rallying. We may or may not form a
college, but whatever comes of this, we will be closer. Stay tuned as
much as you can. Ansteorran history may be in the making. :-)

> Now, I asked about the function of a college: here are my thoughts.
>
> I have heard nothing to tell me that a college is needed, or will
> work.

By your own admission, you haven't read all of the emails. The
reasons given are there, in past emails, mostly from Robin. (If you
sort by sender, there aren't that many to go through.) Meaning no
disrespect, Ivo, but it's kinda rude to step into a dialog, choose
not to catch up, and ask questions (again) that have already been
discussed.

> If you want a community, than we need to make it from the ground up.

I agree, and this has been stated by Robin in his posts here
(although he used a different metaphor about building a church and
not starting with the steeple).

> That means changing the way individuals think, act, talk....it
> means chancing the culture of bardic so that it can prosper in the
> kingdom.

I believe that's exactly the goal that's been stated.

> <snip bad bard karma>
>
> Honestly guys, will a few people and a formalized name/structure
> really fix whats wrong.
>
> I don't believe so.

It might or it might not. That remains to be seen.

> If we want a community, than we all need to come together and come
> up with lasting plans that will create venues like bi-monthly
> bardic meetings between groups, regular meetings where bards can
> perform and get reviewed, and a culture that encourages non-bards
> to take an interest in the bardic arts.
>
> You don't build that from the top down.
>
> You build that by going home and calling the next closet bard and
> saying "Hay, how about we have dinner and go over some new stuff
> I'm working on."
>
> And then the next day you call the bard in the next barony/shire/
> canton and say "Hay, what are you doing next Friday?..."
>
> Ivo Blackhawk

You know, your last few paragraphs sound remarkably familiar. It's
almost as though I'd read something along the same lines, somewhere
very recently... hmmm... where could that have been....? ;-)

Seriously, I think you've got some good thoughts. But I wish you'd
take the time to catch up before berating others for how they
communicate, or continuing to ask questions that have been addressed.

If you choose not to do so, that's up to you. Either way, you might
want to show up at 12th Night and follow the discussion there. I'm
sure that all of the ground will be covered, starting from the
beginning. Or just wait to see what comes out of that meeting. I'm
sure that a summary will be posted here and on the bardic web site.

Michael