[Bards] some {more} Notes!

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 6 09:02:13 PST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Alden Drake wrote:

> Magadalia wrote:
>
>> Would having the college again set guidelines for performances?
>> Would the
>> college encourage new bards? Would the college embrace bards of
>> all styles?
>> Would the college encourage current bards to branch out into other
>> areas?
>> Would the college assist people in finding resources?   I could go
>> on and on
>> in "would the college" but I'll stop for now.
>
> These are difficult to answer in yes/no form.  Here are my
> thoughts, based on comments people have made thus far.
>
> The College should not be an authoritative body.  ...
>
> The College may encourage newcomers to bardic, but really, I think
> it should be the people who make up the college who encourage new
> bards.  But some people will be encouraged by having a collective
> body they can identify with.
>
> The College should include and support all bardic performance
> styles.  However, it will be up to the practitioners of those
> styles to provide support for them, so some styles may be better
> supported than others.
>
> The College should not directly encourage bards to branch out into
> other areas, however it should provide materials which will assist
> bards who choose to do so.  Members of the College may encourage
> others to branch out, but the College itself should not be
> perceived to be steering anyone's choices.
>
> The College should definitely help in the area of resources.
> That's why we're coming together isn't it?  To share knowledge and
> improve the arts in our kingdom?
>
> ~Alden

Good questions, and good answers. For the benefit of those just
joining the dialog, I'll quote something that was posted a few days
ago. (Yeah, I know, quoting myself... how conceited is that...)

On Nov 3, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Michael Silverhands wrote:

> It's vitally important to remember what a college (or, for that
> matter, any other group within the SCA) is.
>
> It's not some vague group composed of "somebody else", like "the
> government".
>
> It's *us*.
>
> If the college has a problem, it won't be "somebody else's
> problem"; it will be *our* problem to fix (or work around, or learn
> to live with).
>
> So, as someone else pointed out, if you are a bard in an area and
> that area needs support, don't wait for the support to appear.
> Don't expect it to, and don't be disappointed if it doesn't. It
> will be up to *you* (yes, *you*) to see the need and mobilize
> whatever support there is (*other* bards just like you) to try and
> address the need.
>
> Sorry if this comes across as redundant or beating a dead horse,
> but I think it's *critically* important that we all understand this
> "from the get go". The college/fraternity/whatever won't be "some
> organization up there"... it will be *us*, the bards of Ansteorra.

So, having said that: let me restate Magadalia's questions. I think
the answers may be self-evident:

>> Would we, the bards of Ansteorra, set guidelines for performances?
>> Would we, the bards of Ansteorra, encourage new bards?
>> Would we, the bards of Ansteorra, embrace bards of all styles?
>> Would we, the bards of Ansteorra, encourage current bards to
>> branch out into other areas?
>> Would we, the bards of Ansteorra, assist people in finding resources?

Well? Would you? :-)

Michael