[Bards] Topic: Is the usage of performers in your area, and events in general, sufficient?

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 24 21:02:18 PDT 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 9:57 PM, lburgin wrote:

> I can see both sides.  I definitely think some strusture needs to be
> encouraged in new bards, if nothing more than that there is a
> proper time
> and place for everything.  One of my biggest fights is bardic
> circles in
> which much of my audience wants to sing "Eagles", Beatles"etc. I
> usually say
> that they should come to my house next week and we will sing, but
> not at the
> event.  Even some filks and bawdys should perhaps be discouraged at
> feast
> and early evening. If older, "mentor" bards are not willing to take
> on the
> task of educating the new bards, then maybe a College is needed. I
> would
> prefer the mentor system, but it takes one-on-one envolvement.
> AmberLea

To play "devil's advocate":

Who would comprise the teachers in the College? Wouldn't it have to
be our experienced bards? If the experienced bards aren't mentoring
new bards now (I'm not saying they are or aren't, just posing a
hypothetical question), how would having a Kingdom College of Bards
change that?

Wouldn't it be just as effective (and a lot less politics) for the
experienced bards to just get off their collective duffs and teach?
Go to events? Host bardic circles? Host workshops? (None of that is
particularly one-on-one, it's more like one-to-many.)

If that isn't happening now, how can we encourage it to happen? (Note
I didn't say "...make it happen". I don't see anyone making any
Ansteorran do anything that they didn't want to do.) Would having a
College structure encourage it? Or do we just need to do what we're
doing right now -- shining a light on the problem and deciding to do
something about it?

Note that I'm not particularly advocating either position. Just, as I
said, playing "devil's advocate" to hear your thoughts.

Michael