[Bards] Bardic college Events

Brian O'hUilliam brianoftheloch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 12:39:00 PDT 2006

My friends,
  To this I must add my words.  I am a bard.  The Loch/Stargate area knows
me fairly well and knows that I'm always up for a performance at a circle or
at feast.  I do compete in local competitions every chance I get, but I do
not have near the catalog or experience that I feel I need to compete in
Eisteddfod.  Like Robert, being Kingdom bard is a goal of mine, just like
being Queen's Champion is a goal of mine as a rapier fighter, but I will not
compete in Eistedfodd until I feel I am ready and that means lots of
practice and expansion of repertoire on my part.  I suppose (as I speak for
no one other than myself) that many people feel the same way, or perhaps
they just don't want to compete, they only wish to perform.

   I am reminded of some conversations I've heard about Steppes Artisan
versus Kingdom Artisan and Steppes Artisan always having more entrants and
more prestige.  Same issue.  Now I am not suggesting that we make Steppes
limit entrants or stop having Artisan, that's ridiculous.  What needs to
happen is Kingdom A&S needs to be promoted more.  Same thing with
Eisteddfod.  We must promote Eisteddfod.

   I also feel that the competition needs to travel.  Why couldn't we piggy
back Eisteddfod onto another highly successful Kingdom event, like Queen's
or even Coronation?  There is always some dead time (provided the circles do
not take hours.)  It seems to me that this would THRUST our art onto the
Kingdom with out being "attack bards" and would allow all to view the bardic
arts in out Kingdom.  Or even tack onto a big Baronial or Shire event.

   Why couldn't we have a Bardic Event?  Have a Bardic Collegium with
Eisteddfod.  We could encourage fighters to come out and have fields for
practice (not a tourney) and an A&S display (not a competition).  This would
be a primarily Bardic event with classes on music & bardic and some
activities for the non-bards.  Also, if we could arrange a Laurel's Circle
there like Crown always has a Chiv Circle and Queen's always has a WS
Circle, I think that would greatly benefit the bardic community and make
some money for the Kingdom.

  I apologize for the length, but I feel very strongly about this, as I know
all of you do too.

Brian O' hUilliam,
Cadet to Don Brian MacCael
Bard of Graywood