[Bards] Bardic college Events

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 30 08:56:21 PST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 5:51 PM, Robert Fitzmorgan wrote:

> On 10/29/06, Darlene Vandever <annescvb at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> One might wonder then how the "period" bards did it. I'm not sure
> there was "professional voice training" available in the 11th century.
>
> I expect that "period" bards probably got more respect and
> attention when performing for a hall than we do.  ...

... in that hall.

Consider: suppose that Gerald and Ihon and a few others and I sat
down someplace quiet, got out quiet Period instruments (recorders,
lutes, etc.) and began to play quiet music... suppose that our quiet
music was the focal point of a Kingdom event, for the pleasure of the
Crown... and now suppose that a crowd of loud, boisterous people set
up a picnic right next to us.

Now tell me how that's different from the current circumstance in
Sokol Hall.

And please tell me what we can do about that. ;-)

To be clear: I'm not suggesting banishing the festive environment --
the "picnic" -- that is Twelfth Night (or Stargate Yule, or...)
during the day. That's part and parcel of the event. I'm just looking
for suggestions for how to improve the Eisteddfod. [1]

Some have mentioned setting up a tent or tents outside, such as we
might do for a hafla. Is that feasible? It would get the Esteddfod
"far from the madding crowd", and would solve the problem of people
with mobility disabilities being able to reach the competition. On
the other hand, it can be cold outside that time of year, so that
would have to be addressed... and of course, this is all up to the
event organizers, not us (but maybe some of us -- Robin? -- could put
a kind word in their ear).

Michael

[1] <rant> I would like to remind the good folks of Steppes that the
*primary* function of the day *is* the Eisteddfod. I've "read between
the lines" in some of the posts that there's a certain resentment in
Steppes that the Kingdom "takes their tax" for the Kingdom event, out
of proportion to the number of folks who come for Eisteddfod. Fine:
choose one of the other ways to hold Twelfth Night. Hold it off-
calendar (no "tax" to Kingdom; but also no court, awards or
Peerages). Hold it jointly with a neighboring canton or shire (no
"tax" to Kingdom, get to have court, but divide the proceeds between
multiple groups). Or just be happy with the current arrangement and
don't begrudge the donation to Kingdom. But don't a) take advantage
of hosting a Kingdom event, then b) squash said Kingdom event into
oblivion, and then complain about the "tax". </rant>