[Bards] in response to Esther

Esther reese_esther at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 10:42:22 PST 2006

I didn't edit, because I think it's relevant....

What if there was a qualifier for the Eistefodd, as there is often a qualifier for other events -- say, a letter of intent, as one would for a tournament of this stature, and a number of competitions that needed to be entered, something to show experience.

And the group champions would be waived those entrance requirements, as the expectation would be that if you win a group champtionship, you will represent that group in front of the Kindgom, as part of the responsibility you have taken on.

  Just thoughts....

Esther

Michael Silverhands <silverhands at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Oct 31, 2006, at 6:45 AM, Mike C. Baker wrote:

>>> Esther wrote:
>>> A thought -- just a thought....
>>>
>>> What if the Eisteffod was a bard off of the branch
>> champions? It would
>>> both strengthen the competition for local titled bards, and in turn
>>> strengthen the Kingdom competition.
>>>

> I would offer the "refinement" / extension that former Premier /
> Kingdom
> Bards would also be eligible (after a "one-year" / one term delay).
>
> An intriguing proposal -- although unless and until reasonably uniform
> selection criteria are in place, could ultimately leave matters in
> similar conditions to current as far as skill levels represented are
> concerned. Consider for example the newest incipient group with three
> contenders drawn from their own local ranks versus the oldest /
> most-active baronies with fields of contenders numbering thirty or
> more
> of the most experienced, well-qualified entertainers...
>
> But I still like the basic idea of preliminaries at other events.
>
> Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Exactly. You can end up with some pretty green goobers in the
Eisteddfod list, while many of the kingdom's best must stay home.

Also consider this: I've seen a young bard (who was having a good
year) go out and win 5 branch championships. If the branch
championships are the "prelim" to Kingdom, then 4 branches aren't
going to be sending anyone in that scenario.

But if there's a need for a "filter" for those entering Eisteddfod
(and I'm not sure that there is... just saying *if* there is), how
about this: you must have won a branch or Kingdom bardic competition
previously. Not necessarily that year's competition, just sometime.

That at least raises the bar to exclude absolute newcomers to bardic
who've never won any competition anywhere before, but otherwise
doesn't exclude any of our "best and brightest".

If you want to lower the bar a bit, you could say that all entrants
to Eisteddfod must have at least *competed* in a branch championship
before. Or you could say they have to be sponsored by someone --
their branch nobility, a Peer, or a previous winner of Eisteddfod.

Or you could just leave it as it is: anyone with the courage to enter
is free to do so. :-)

At the moment, I don't think the problem is "too many in the list".
Quite the opposite.

Michael