[Bards] in response to Esther

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 11:25:18 PST 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Esther wrote:

> I didn't edit, because I think it's relevant....
>
> What if there was a qualifier for the Eistefodd, as there is often
> a qualifier for other events -- say, a letter of intent, as one
> would for a tournament of this stature, and a number of
> competitions that needed to be entered, something to show experience.
>
> And the group champions would be waived those entrance
> requirements, as the expectation would be that if you win a group
> champtionship, you will represent that group in front of the
> Kindgom, as part of the responsibility you have taken on.
>
> Just thoughts....
>
> Esther

Those are interesting ideas. It also occurs to me that, by raising
the bar and making it slightly more difficult to enter, we might
increase the *interest* (and maybe decrease the *fear*) of entering,
and thus paradoxically increase the number of entrants.

I guess it all boils down to promoting the Eisteddfod, advertising it
and increasing its prestige (which largely depends on awareness and
appreciation (of bardcraft in general, and the Eisteddfod in
particular)). This also could have the net effect of promoting
bardcraft across the board -- and not just competitions, but all
venues for performance.

These are obviously just ideas, possible suggestions for *future*
Eisteddfods, but having said that -- how about these for a starting
list of "talking points" for requirements:
* you need a letter of intent
* you need to be sponsored by either a branch noble, a Peer, or a
former Kingdom Bard
* a person can only sponsor one entrant
* if you are a current (or former?) branch or kingdom champion, you
don't need a sponsor
* but you still need a letter of intent
* how about an oath before the competition starts -- similar to the
one the knights take at the start of Crown -- stating both your
*ability* and *intent* to serve in all aspects as the Kingdom's Bard
should you win?
* for that matter, how about such an oath for *local* championships,
too?

It seems to me that the more we can "dress up" the competition with
theater, customs, formality, etc., the more prestigious it will be
seen to be. It could make more people want to enter.

Just more thoughts.

Michael