[Bards] Eisteddfod as a stand alone event -- was Apologies

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Dec 17 11:50:24 PST 2007

Ihon asked:

> Basically, the vision (as I see it) is a fete with merchants and food and/or
> drink taverns -- ala a Gather for you Pern fans. There would be multiple
> venues interspersed for instrumental music, dance, vocal and performance
> arts and those who desire could wander as minstrels, jugglers and the like.
> I see it as taking place in the low point of the fighting season but others
> suggest a more moderate climate might be beneficial.

> What say you, bards?  Can we make it happen?

Yes, of course we can.  Here are a few random thoughts.

1. I'm tempted to suggest a weekend right before or after Gulf War, which is both a low point in the fighting season *and* moderate weather.

2. If we want this event to be Eisteddfod, we must jump -- *now*.

3. I think we should plan a stand-alone Eisteddfod, with plans to expand it into the other ideas as soon as it takes off (again).  A basic lesson of project management for start-ups is that you focus one the first, central project exclusively until that one is self-supporting, then you branch out.

4. We need some activities for the non-bards besides merely listening.  First, the spouses of bards won't want to listen all day.  Secondly, anybody who *is* willing to listen all day is probably a bard.  The event needs to atract audience.

5. Even the bards will not want to do it all day.  I don't even want to watch Branagh doing Shakepseare for ten hours sraight.  Ideally, we have other activities going, but the primary focus is the performers.  (THis is not a requirement; it's a fact of life.  Other activities *will* happen.  If it's good weather and my cadets show, I *will* spend some time fencing.  Activities happen.)

6. If we plan a stand-alone non-Eisteddfod event, we should make it a regioanl" event on paper, so it doesn't cost some branch one of its events for the year, per the kingdom laws about event scheduling.

7. We must commit.  We must commit.  We must commit.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin