[Bards] Bards Digest, Vol 11, Issue 21

Tim Jennings tim at roseneath.ca
Fri Mar 30 06:30:34 PDT 2007

Hi Cadfan, et al

Yep -that was me... 'Stan light'. Afraid you heard me in pretty meager
voice at the war.

Truly (or you might know here as Eleanor - my wife - late of your
homeland) and I were both fighting awful colds and while I managed to
feel up to singing by Tues or so, Tru didn't get her voice back until
this week really.

I might just see what I can do with the music. Thanks.

My thought about the change I suggested (if you do want to consider
adding a verse), and to pick up on Robin's very clear point about the
seasons, is to suggest that you might move the Fleet street and Gleann
Abhann bits ahead a verse to autumn and winter and put in an 'American'
verse about a dragon waking and then do exactly what Robin 'kind of'
suggested - bits about July 4 might be of use - I expect something about
'Tea' (or how no one drinks Tea at the Dragon) might be fun as well -
but I don't want to impose the lyric on you -just the concept:)

Then the last verse could be set in the "ending of the year" or "the
closing of the year". I think the piece, as a song, could easily have 5
verses and it feels more complete to me to have a full life of seasons
and then the ending, which is outside the seasons (I love your reference
to the Low road there - a lovely allusion to both FaerieLand and Death).

Caveat: I rewrite and edit my stuff a lot, so please take this with the
editorial eye of someone who constantly reworks his pieces and assumes
everyone else wants to as well. I often take pieces people like of mine
and rewrite whole sections during the first year or two because 'a' word
isn't working for me and it sometimes requires rejigging the whole verse
to make it better.

The piece is very fine as is. No doubt. I am just pushing a little
because I tend to think everyone wants to keep editing their stuff (ask
Alden about that;) and because I want more of it. With the right music,
I have no doubt that it will be a real favourite sing-a-long at the
Green Dragon at future GW's and across the SCA.

I think the GW Green Dragon is an inspiring concept for the SCA and is
the obvious 'centre' of the entire event. Tru and I are trying to figure
out how to do something similar up here at a cpl of our local events.

Thanks for listening and no worries if you feel it's done.

TTFN
Tim/Garraed

Tim Jennings
Managing Director
Roseneath Theatre
519-787-2399
www.roseneath.ca
***
A proud member of International Performing Arts for Youth
www.ipayweb.org

Garraed!  Whoa, are you the Garread who sang that Stan-Rogers-esque song
about Ealdormere at Gulf Wars?  Good to have you here regardless, but
particularly so if you are.

I hadn't heard about the Green Dragon in Boston. I'll have to ask my old
man
if he knows anything about it: he's a member of the Menotomy County
Minute
Men (Revolutionary War re-enactment--like father, like son...).

If you'd like to take a whack at setting this to music, by all means do,
and
welcome to it.  In fact, I'd be honored.

--Cadfan