[Bards] Kenneth's story discussion

barrett1 at cox.net barrett1 at cox.net
Tue May 1 12:32:13 PDT 2007

The Tain bo Cuailgne is predominately prose with some verse scattered through it. It was collected via recitation in a few works, such as the Book of the Dun Cow, The Yellow Book of Lecan and the Book Of Leinster.

I'm getting the impression that you want evidence that narrative and prose pieces were offered in formal settings professionally, not just tavern or bedchamber discussions.
The Bible aside (most of which is prose, not verse, and was performed aloud in churches and courts), I think the Tain is an excellent example of an originally oral fiction that uses prose and basic narrative as it's primary structure for entertainment.

~Finnacan