[Bards] Red-headed step children (was E: Situations That Ruin Bardic Circles)

Genie Barrett ladymaggie at justinanimator.com
Tue May 8 05:44:29 PDT 2007

At 07:16 AM 5/8/2007, you wrote:

>I agree that civility and courtesy are things we should practice
>within our performance community as well as through life.  So where
>does this perception that we, as performers, are "red-headed
>step-children" come from?

Perhaps it is because I started playing in a different kingdom, but I
have never had this feeling or gotten this vibe.

I joined the SCA for bardic.  It has always been part of my concept
of what the SCA is.  I feel that everyone I have ever sung for or
talked to has been positive to my being a bard.  Yes, I also have
heard people say that only specific people are welcome at their fire,
but that is also part of the SCA.

An example...

I do not drink.  I will never touch any version of recreational
alcohol.  At my fire, I will never offer it.  However, if you come to
my fire and have something in your mug, or even bring a bottle to
share, I will not send you away.  I may ask you not to share, or to
just be discreet about it (depending on how alert the daughter is
that day), but you are still welcome.  I will never deny someone's
freedom to drink no matter where they are.

So it is with how bards should perform.

If I come to a fire, and the people who own it are in a certain mood
from what they are doing together there, I will not try to change
that mood.  If that means that simple conversation is more
appropriate than a story or song, than that's what I will share.  I
have gone entire events, walking from fire to fire, and never sung a
song.  Sometimes that's just the way it happens.

Sensitivity to those who would be our audience is more important than
our desire to perform a certain piece.  I have stuff that I have
never performed because it is never the right time.  I'll get to some
day, but I won't force it on someone.

Just a few thoughts, hope they make sense.

Maggie
Glaslyn's Bardic Defender