[Bards] Red-headed step children

sorrowsong at cox.net sorrowsong at cox.net
Tue May 8 11:48:22 PDT 2007

I think one of the problems we have in the north is the growing prevalence of those who are there just for the drunken costume party. Don't get me wrong, I drink with the best of them, but I also have an interest in more than just the party.

Friday night at Beltane there was a wonderful fire going, great performances, singalongs, just fun. I heard a comment from someone who was not even from the encampment that they wanted to party but the fire was surrounded in bards. Never mind that we'd been there all night and were performing at the request of the camp. The fact was that it was the only fire going after a certain time of night and it wasn't what that person had wanted.  It's not the first time I've seen that happen.

Anyway, that's the only time I really ever hear complaints about bards. I usually let it just slide off my back and go on. I usually avoid those folks by either going to an established bardic fire, starting one in my own camp, or waiting until I'm invited to sing at someone else's camp. If someone comes up to a camp where bardic is going on and complains, I'm certainly not going to let them make me feel like a red-headed stepchild. :)