[Bards] Dream? What Dream? Did you see a Dream? I know I didn't!

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Mon Apr 21 20:21:02 PDT 2008

Dear folks

I know I am going to come across like a authentic Nazi but what I hate about filk is the attitude of the singers. Most of them know their song isn't in the spirit of the SCA and they think they are thumbing their nose at the "Establishment". Their conversation before and after their performance is usually very mundane. Many of the people singing those songs seem cynical and sour.

OK I will admit that the officialdom of the Kingdom makes mistakes and sometimes people of upper rank and position make pills of ourselves but the magic of the SCA is something most of us joined to feel. The upper level people are usually over somewhere being waited on and they feel the magic. The people by the fire are usually everyday folks that could use some magic to make them forget the price of gas this week. Performers have the ability to make everything about Ansteorra seem real and inspire people to a higher level.

some of the newcomers and new fighters sitting around our late night fire will someday be our nobles, peers and officers. Should not we show them that we value magic and instill in them a love of the magic so when they get powerful they will protect and nourish it.

willow de wisp