[Bards] A reminder and admonition...

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:57:42 PDT 2008

My own words come back to haunt me, betimes... The following was
extracted from something much longer, by coincidence (or whatever)
originally posted to the the Ansteorra list seven years ago yesterday,
based upon the record captured within the Florilegium.  (MUCH
appreciation for Stefan's efforts!)

.. in all of these efforts and in all of these fields of endeavor we
have gained a far closer insight into the hearts of our friends,
companions, acquaintances (and others less well-disposed) as we met them
blade to blade, pen to paper, heart to mind, word set against word,
research tempered by experience -- both refuted and reinforced, and
often both!

Including, of course, the more cerebral of these exchanges being made
through electrons to the screen. Recorded to disk, to paper, to tape, to
CD-ROM, and to forms yet unrealized by modern alchemist and craftsman,
these are the chronicles of our lives made manifest for the future. I
have spoken or written of Leta's foray into the martial ranks before.
What was spoken, a few heard and may remember, and some may tell others,
but unless my words somehow made the events "real" within their
imaginations, how long would the story survive? Two generations? Forty
years? Beyond my lifetime, or that of my sons? Perhaps...

Committed to the pages of a single local group's newsletter, how long
until the paper is discarded or crumbled, untransferred to more
permanent form? A century? Two? ...

But in *this* form, through this forum, how many more lives might be
touched down the span of time? I pray thee all, remember this when your
tempers flare hot or your thoughts run wild. We write here not upon the
wind of the world, but upon the very stream of time itself.

Amra, known also as al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra,
<SNIP>
[one] supporter of Tomonaga's nomination of REHoward as patron saint of
[Ansteorra]:
        A long bow, and a strong bow,
        With the foreign foe for our mark:
        Draw to the ear, make their nobles fear
        As the sky with our shafts grows dark!
(para-re-phrased, after the model of "Song of the Bossonian Archers",
Robert E. Howard)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/