[Bards] What is a bard?

Emily Minier Emily.Minier at DTAG.Com
Mon Jan 7 06:38:21 PST 2008

Okay.  My turn.

bardic competitions, or who would otherwise be accepted in bardic
competitions. "   Ivo, you and I both know that hosts/judges of
competitions do not "allow" only certain people to enter their
competitions.  You and I have both witnessed some competitions where
some of the competitors were umm...let's just say, not what the judges
were looking for.  But they were never told they couldn't try.  I think
what Allon is trying to say (Allon, correct me if I'm wrong) is the
ability, desire, and talent to COMPETE have absolutely nothing to do
with whether or not a person is a bard.  Instead, it's the ability,
desire, and talent to entertain and educate and pass down our oral (or
musical) traditions that make a person a "bard".  And I agree with him.
I think that if a person MUST compete to be a bard, then being a Bard
would be a title, like being a Centurion.  You can be a fighter without
a tournament.  We have guys at practice who just aren't ready for a
tournament yet.  You can be an archer without being in archery
competition.  You can be a artisan without competing in A&S.  And you
can be a bard without that competition, too.  Long before I began
competing, I was a bard.  I knew this because other bards told me so.
There is no scroll, no medallion, no material prize for being a bard.
Don't get me wrong, there is a prize, it's just not material.  It's
friendship.  It's camaraderie.  It's the joy in the face of the audience
for a piece well done.  I can't say that I've only seen that joy in
competition.  I can't.  I've seen it at fires. I've seen it at small
camps.  I've seen it in feast halls.  There were no judges.  I am my
only true judge.

the attitude of our audiences .
Again, I disagree.  Every competing bard knows that there are
competition pieces and there are fire pieces.  There are pieces for when
the smalls are still up and pieces that are not so family friendly.  The
attitudes of our audiences changes not only from event to event, but
even from fire to fire.  That's one of the greatest challenges of
bardic, being able to read your audience and tell what they are in the
mood for, and then delivering from the heart.

So, in the interest of fair play, the question is "What is a bard?"

A bard is simply someone who blurs the line between "being at an event"
and "being there" even just a little with the music they provide.  They
bring emotion and fellowship with their performances.  They help us
remember "the old times" (even the old times before we were playing).
They keep our history alive and our youngsters (not necessarily
chronological youngsters - time in society, youngsters) feeling as
though they were a part of it.  They entertain.  They teach.  They
create an ambiance that, to some, is unmatched by any other facet of our
Society.

And, frankly, we have some of the BEST bards in the Knowne World right
here at home.

As always,
Yours In Service,
Lady Adalia VonderBerg