[Bards] No Sh*t stories

John Hirling jhirling at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 13:48:48 PST 2008

I like a great 'I was there' story as the next person.  Yet, your last line
underscores the problem I have with many of that ilk -- "these 300 guys"
does not transport me out of the 21st century.  Were you still in the tent
at Eisteddfod when Master Robin did his Shakespearian prelude to Giligan's
Island?  Now, give me a 'I was there' story set to period prose or poetry
and I'm with you all the way!
~ihon
who really, really does not intend to be critical of my good cousin but
simply make a point.

On Jan 6, 2008 3:33 PM, Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair <
donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:

> I have heard some talk of "No Sh*t, there I was" stories as though they
> are some lesser form of bardic, if they are bardic at all.  In my mind,
> there is no higher calling in the bardic arts.  Now, it doesn't have to
> start with that infamous first line, but those stories are what preserve
> our history, and that to me is a primary duty of a bard.  What's the
> difference between a No Sh*t story and a glorious piece of Ansteorran
> history?  About 10 years and some polish on the delivery, oh and drop
> the first line.  I'll leave you with this little gem in what may have
> been its original form:
>
> "No Sh*t there I was at this battle where these 300 guys were facing
> down the entire Persian army..."
>
> Donnchadh

" When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by
one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." Edmund Burke