[Bards] Bards in the SCA - Questions

Fields Family Farm fields at texas.net
Mon Aug 16 05:57:41 PDT 2010

Thank you for the link to "What Is A Bard:  The Myth and History".  Some of
that I at least passingly knew, some was new to me.

Other questions have presented themselves:

What genres of the bardic are there, currently?  In the "Myth and History"
we're told that bards are poets, historians, judges, teachers, and more, but
how does this manifest in the SCA today?  Is any performer called a bard, or
are 'Bards' held to a higher standard?

There's a specific etiquette to being a bard?

Are bards an official position within the SCA, with ceremonies, rites of
passage, and levels of accomplishment?  Or are they more informal?

What usually happens in a bardic circle?  How long does it last?

What is a 'NSTIW story circle'?

What is involved in a 'bardic competition'?

If one were interested in becoming a bard, how would one begin?

Hrethric/Rick