[Bards] Bards in the SCA, was: Bards Digest, Vol 50, Issue 2

David Reynolds lucas_mor_mac_raghnaill at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:42:48 PDT 2010

Being a bard, like most aspects of the SCA, depends on what you want to do.

Many bards are exclusively "around the fire" bards.  They don't write their own pieces, but they learn the traditional pieces of the SCA and Ansteorra.  They enjoy bardic as a source of enjoying each others company, singing in groups and relaxing.  Other bards are performers.  They will come to some circles, but primarily relish competitions.  And of course you have every measure in between.

You don't have to relate your bardic experience to your personna, though it is really cool when people do.  I think of myself as one of the Scottish Makaris.  However, I know several bards that I enjoy hanging out with that don't perform any original pieces.

I would recommend coming to a few circles and a few competitions and deciding what you want to get out of it.