[Bards] A short poem for Harold, sunu Godwines

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 14 10:02:41 PDT 2010

This is a short poem in Old and Modern English to mark the 944th anniversary of
the Battle of Hastings, with a clear Anglo-Saxon bias.  Any errors are my own
and account for my lack of skill at composing.  For those who can, enjoy.--
Wihtric hlafard Wihtmunding, wyrdwritere Steppes.

EALA ansteorraland, eadig and micel,
Lo Ansteorra, noble and great,

herie and heorcnie ymb harolde cyning,
Hear and harken about King Harold

wiþ denum gefeohte, wiþ norðmannum forðgan.
against the Danes he fought, against the Normans he died.

cynehlaford þa dene cwellode þa cwice suð gegan.
The royal lord qwelled the Danes then quickly went south.

comon wilhelm and flota, cynehelm to gewinnienne.
Came William and the fleet, crown to win.

wærloga was harold hatan, westseaxe cynn bismerede.
Oath-breaker Harold was called, Westseaxe cynn bismerched.

husceorlas mid hildebordas æt hæstingaceastre plegedon.
Huscarls with battle-boards at Hastings played,

fyrd gefeohte and fela norðmen geslogon.
The army fought and many Normans slew.

eac æþele hlafard, ænglandes cyning feoll,
But the noble lord, England's king fell,

Isenscot on eagan fleag, ealle wearþ gelosede.
Iron-shot in eye flew, all became lost.

banhus his saweleas, bearn Godwines dead.
His bone-house soulless, child of Godwin [was] dead.

heriaþ we on thissum dæge Harold cyning,
Praise we on this day King Harold,

weard ængelcynnes, wealdend rihtfulla.
Warder of English kind, the rightful wielder.

lange libbe ænglaland! lange libbe ansteorraland!
Long live England! Long live Ansteorra!

Soðlice.
Truly